Granted Indie music videos arent big budget productions, yet, its in their concept,meanings and ability to strive for the different that makes it all the more satisfying (and sometimes mindboggling).
Here are 20 music videos that tickled our fancy and deserves to be viewed and digested for all its uniqueness and kool factor that transcends more than meets the eye (and bulging pockets). The following are musicians picked off the various music awards nominations over the past 4 years under the Bite My Music platform – VIMA, AVIMA, Indiego and Bite My Music Global Awards
Videos that any indie act can pull off if they had the “smart/smart-ass” factor!
1. Turun Dalam Rupa Cahaya – Airportradio (Indonesia)
Giant bird playing a keyboard, 3 legged musician and skull drums wrapped in a trippy alt-ambient delivery.
2. Illussion – Bettina D’Mello (Germany)
Sexy symbolic video dripping with Latin interpretations and musings
3. Sana – Up Dharma Down (Philippines)
Brilliant music video’s take on 80s video games but played out in reality
4. Rockaboy – Sheezay (Malaysia)
Madcap burst of color and beats!
5. Salvation – Rock and Roll Mafia feat Sarah Jane and Blackheart (Indonesia)
Fashion speared by alt-rock
6. MRI – Archipelago (Philippines)
Sublime simplicity that leaves you haunted forever
7. Rindu – Everybody Loves Irene (Indonesia)
Trip-hopping into a melancholic palette
8. Two Tooth the Rat Race – Sanjeev Thomas (India)
200km/h into culture-clash
9. We Give In Sometimes – Up Dharma Down (Philippines)
10. Sexy Beast – Out of Body Special (Philippines)
Stalkers & Kidnappers ..and they insist “break up with your boyfriend!”
11. Heartbreaker – Mobbstarr (Philippines)
“Breasty attitude”. You can see but dont touch.Watch the whole video to see why this is one of Asia’s sexiest videos.
12. Bang Bang – Empire Isis (Canada/USA)
Gangstress in a mac
13. Haircut – Ze (Malaysia)
If you have an infectious chorus, then sockpuppets will do! As Lo-Fi as it goes, but it works!
14. Break This Game – Swami Baracus (UK)
Breaking the game, bowler hat n all with the Barracuda
15. Snake in the city – Vivek Rajagopalan
Unfolding drama from the back seat of a taxi done drum n bass
16. Fix me – Ashu (India)
When all you have is yourself!Camwhoring at its best!
17. I am a Macha! – That Effing Show (Malaysia)
Beyond hilarious! Russell Peters would have been proud!
18. That Okay Song – That Effing Show with Azmyl Yunor & Ezra Zaid (Malaysia)
The effing show crew returned with an epic social message
19. Gravitat – Dualist Inquiry (India)
DJ’s shall inherit Uranus! Action starts from 1:21
20. Wangu – Makossa & Megablast ft Tony Allen & OG spiritual goddess (Austria)
WARNING: This video may put you in a trance. I kid you not!
What the heck! We’ll throw in 1 more. The grand shocker when Bruneian musician, Hill Zaini, broke the indie wall and had Mariah Carey and Samantha Mumba appear in his music video.